Brewery tours launch from a central meeting point and visit 3 breweries in Greater Pittsburgh. Beer from each brewery is included. Tour participants can choose from a sampler flight of several beers at each stop. The tour takes about 3.5 hours.
What's included in a craft beer tour?
- About 3 pints worth of YOUR CHOICE of beer samples
- Fun facts about Pittsburgh and its beer
- VIP treatment from the guide and breweries
- Typically a behind-the-scenes brewery tour at one or more stops
- Water and popcorn on the bus
- A cooler to store growlers you buy along the way
- Unique exposure to the emerging beer scene
How long are the tours?
Tours visit 3 breweries in about 3 hours, give or take 30 minutes for our city's infamous traffic. And sunshine. Tours tend to move a little slower when there is sun to be enjoyed on breweries' patios. Here's a sample schedule:
- 1:00pm - Leave Penn Brewery and make fun of "Lite" beer
- 1:15pm - Arrive at 1st Brewery and collect samples
- 1:30pm - VIP tour with brewmaster and forced keg cleaning manual labor
- 2:00pm - Leave for second brewery feeling pleasantly toasty
- 2:15pm - Arrive at 2nd Brewery and collect samples
- 2:30pm - VIP tour with brewmaster and goofy joke lesson
- 3:00pm - Photo time and prepare for final brewery
- 3:15pm - Arrive at 3rd and order beers and sandwich
- 3:30pm - Solidify Facebook friendship with other riders
- 4:00pm - Finish food, beer and long rambling story
- 4:15pm - Return to Penn Brewery to continue your afternoon
Which breweries do tours visit?
We partner with 12 local breweries to provide memorable experiences. Most public tours have a schedule on the individual tour page, but might switch it based on brewery availability, baseball games, traffic, weather and, honestly, preference. We want to make sure that each tour has a great line up!
Which types of tours are available?
Public tours are open to all beer lovers who are 21 years of age or older, which is the legal drinking age in Pennsylvania. Most beer tours cost $59 and non-drinkers can tag along for $40. Tag-alongs must also be 21 years of age or older.
Are your tours handicapped accessible?
Yes! Just please give us a heads up via our contact form.
Is BYOB allowed?
Tours include plenty of samples so please no BYOB on public or private tours. This is a rule for several reasons. First, this is a celebration of local beer, not a booze cruise. We don't mean to sound snooty, but we want to set expectations. Second, lots of passengers don't finish their beer or ask for half pours at the last stop. You can always pick up an extra pint or fill a growler along the way!
Is this a local tour company?
Heck yes! The company is owned by proud Pittsburghers. The tours are given by proud Pittsburghers. Porter Tours is also heavily invested in the community, providing cash and in-kind donations to local charities and breweries. We love this city so it should be no surprise that we invest in it.
Private events can also be arranged. Please visit this page for more info.